How to run Plex Media Server as a Windows Service.
What is Plex Media Server and can I run it as a Windows Service?
Plex Media Server is a media server and organizer. The client can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro, which allows you to have the application start automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the application and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
How to set up Plex Media Server Sunder FireDaemon Pro
1. Download the latest Plex Media Server files from the Plex website.
2. By default Plex Media Server installs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server. For the purposes of this HOWTO, we will use that directory.
Plex Media Server needs to be configured from within its web GUI at http ://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html
3. Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
4. Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the "Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the paths to suit your installation. Note that no parameters are required.
5. Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see Plex Media Server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box & select “Hidden” from the “Show Window” dropdown. You must run Plex Media Server as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You must also set the "Job Type" to "Global Job" or else the service will not stop and restart properly. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to Plex Media Server or specify which CPU or core Plex Media Server will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
6. Now click on the OK button to install and start Plex Media Server!