BitTorrent is the original Torrenting client.
FireDaemon Pro. This allows you to start and run the application automatically when Windows boots and before login. FireDaemon Pro also allows you to start multiple instances of the script, monitoring them and automatically restarting those instances in the event they crash. FireDaemon Fusion can also be used to manage your BitTorrent service, plus other Windows services via your web browser.
BitTorrent Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
Step 1: Download BitTorrent
- Download and install BitTorrent Classic from here. For the purposes of this guide, we are using the classic version.
- During installation, you might be asked to install other software (known as "bloatware"). Decline when asked, no matter how useful the software appears.
- At some point during installation, you'll be presented with a window like the following. Uncheck "Start BitTorrent when windows starts up":
Step 2: Configure BitTorrent
- Configure all your preferences (max connections, etc.). Please be aware that increasing the connection count too high will slow down the internet speed for everyone else in your network.
- Close BitTorrent Classic.
Step 2: Set Up BitTorrent as a FireDaemon Pro Service
Download and install FireDaemon Pro. Double click the FireDaemon Pro icon on your desktop, then click on the New (i.e. +) button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl + N) to create a new service.:
By default BitTorrent installs to "C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\BitTorrent". Replace "<USERNAME>" with the username of the Windows account you installed BitTorrent as.
Next, click on the FireDaemon Pro Settings tab:
Enter appropriate values in the fields on the Settings tab as follows:
- (Required) Job Type: You must set the job type to "Global Job".
- (Required) Logon Account: Enter the Windows account under which the application is to be run, e.g. the current user account.
- Password / Confirm Password: Enter the logon account's password twice.
- (Optional) Interact with Desktop: Interact with Desktop: If this setting is enabled (default), the applications' output messages can be seen in the console window on Windows Session 0. To switch to Session 0, it may be necessary to install FireDaemon Zero and ZeroInput. Alternatively, this setting may be disabled, in which case the application's messages will be hidden.
- (Optional) Priority: To allocate more CPU time to the application, select a higher scheduling priority in this field.
- (Optional) CPU Bindings: To run the application on a specific CPU, specify the appropriate CPU in this field.
Step 6: Verify that BitTorrent Classic is Running Correctly
The BitTorrent's status can easily be checked on the main FireDaemon Pro Services List - look for a Running Status value and a numeric Process ID (PID) value.
If the service's Interact with Desktop setting is enabled, BitTorrent Classic can also be verified by switching to Windows Session 0 to view the BitTorrent Classic window.