FreeFileSync is a folder comparison and synchronization software that creates and manages backup copies of all your important files. Instead of copying every file every time, FreeFileSync determines the differences between a source and a target folder and transfers only the minimum amount of data needed.
FreeFileSync can be run as a Windows service using FireDaemon Pro. This allows you to start and run the application automatically when Windows boots and before login. FireDaemon Pro also allows you to start multiple instances of the server, monitoring them and automatically restarting those instances in the event they crash. FireDaemon Fusion can also be used to manage your FreeFileSync service, plus other Windows services via your web browser.
FreeFileSync Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
Please follow the steps below to set up an FreeFileSync as a Windows service with FireDaemon Pro
Step 1: Download and Install FreeFileSync
- Download the latest Windows version from here
- Run the installation executable.
- By default the application installs to "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync"
- Run the application to configure the directories you want to sync. Once you're finished, select Save as Batch File from the File menu. Since this batch file will be running as a FireDaemon service, we recommend checking the "Run Minimised" box and selecting "Close progress dialog" from the On Completion dropdown. Once you've configured your settings, click Save As to name and save your file.
Step 2: Set Up FreeFileSync as a FireDaemon Pro Service
Download and install FireDaemon Pro. Double click the FireDaemon Pro icon on your desktop, then click on the New (i.e. +) button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl + N) to create a new service. Enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the path names to suit your installation. Note the required parameters.
Next, click on the FireDaemon Pro Settings tab:
Enter appropriate values in the fields on the Settings tab as follows:
- (Required) Job Type: You must set job type to "Global Job". If you do not set this then "RealTimeSync_x64.exe" will be orphaned when the service is stopped or restarted.
- (Optional) Logon Account: Enter the Windows account under which the application is to be run, e.g. the current administrator account.
- Password / Confirm Password: Enter the logon account's password twice.
- (Optional) Interact with Desktop: If this setting is enabled (default), the application's output messages can be seen in the console window on Windows Session 0. To switch to Session 0, it may be necessary to install FireDaemon Zero and ZeroInput. Alternatively, this setting may be disabled, in which case the application's messages will be hidden.
- (Optional) Priority: To allocate more CPU time to the application, select a higher scheduling priority in this field.
- (Optional) CPU Bindings: To run the application on a specific CPU, specify the appropriate CPU in this field.
Next, click on the Lifecycle tab. Set Shutdown By to Forceful Termination.
Lastly, click the Save and Close (ie. the tick) button on the toolbar. If the service's Startup Type is set to Automatic or Automatic (Delayed-Start), it will start immediately.
If the service's Interact with Desktop setting is enabled, the FreeFileSync status can also be verified by switching to Windows Session 0 to view the FreeFileSync's messages.