Synergy is a first person cooperative action game. The dedicated server component can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro, which allows you to start the dedicated server automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the dedicated server and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use FireDaemon Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
Synergy Dedicated Server Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
First download and extract SteamCMD. The download is small (< 2 MB).
Go to the directory where you installed SteamCMD and create a shortcut to "SteamCMD.exe". Next edit the properties of the shortcut and in the target box, at the end of it (with a space before the following), put:
+login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\synergy" +app_update 17525 validate +quit
The target box should now look something like:
C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\synergy" +app_update 17525 validate +quit
Now click the shortcut you created and let it run to download the Synergy server files. It might take a few hours to update everything. You should also run the shortcut every week or so to grab the latest server updates. Make sure to stop your server first.
Synergy uses one configuration file to store its settings. You can find it in “C:\synergy\cfg\server.cfg” in the directory where you installed the server, as well as a sample file at the end of this HOWTO. Go ahead and modify this configuration file to suit your preferences.
Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the "Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the paths to suit your installation. Note the required parameters.
Executable: The path to your srcds.exe file. The path specified in this HOWTO is C:\synergy\srcds.exe.
Working directory: The directory containing your srcds.exe file. The path specified in this HOWTO is C:\synergy.
Here’s the full parameter list you should have:
-console -game "synergy" -secure +map syn_oldcanals -autoupdate +log on +maxplayers 32 -port 27015 +ip 126.96.36.199 +exec server.cfg
- "-console” enables text base server display. The server can only be automatically restarted in text based mode.
- “-game” loads the mod.
- “-secure” enables VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) protection of your server. You can remove this command if you do not want to use VAC.
- “+map” loads a specified map on server startup. You can change “syn_oldcanals” to whatever map you want. This command should never be removed.
- “-autoupdate” Enables auto update of the server. Valve has not implemented this in Windows so you will have to manually update Synergy yourself. It’s here for the sake of legacy support if Valve ever decides to add it.
- “+log on” Displays the output of information on the screen. You can turn optionally it off (+log off), but keeping it on makes it easier to debug any errors you might encounter.
- “maxplayers 32” This controls the maximum of amount of players you want your server to run. You can only control the max players on server startup. This command should never be removed.
- “-port 27015” This is the default server port. You can change it to anywhere from 27015 to 27020. Changing it is generally used when you host multiple servers (as each server has to use its own port when using the same IP). This command should never be removed.
- “+ip” should be the IP of your computer (not 127.0.0.1, go here to get your IP). This command should never be removed.
- “+exec server.cfg” This simply executes your server.cfg file on server startup. If you run multiple servers from the same installation, you can specify other config files (eg. server2.cfg)
Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see your dedicated server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box & select “Hidden” from the “Show Window” dropdown. You can optionally run Synergy as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to the dedicated server or specify which CPU or core the dedicated server will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
Now click on the Lifecycle tab. Uncheck Graceful Shutdown as Synergy doesn't respond to it.
Now click OK to finish setup and start Synergy!
Example Configuration File
Below is an example server.cfg file:
hostname "Synergy Server" rcon_password "CHANGEPASSWORD" fps_max 600 sv_allowdownload 1 sv_allowupload 1 net_maxfilesize 64 pausable "0" // Voice Comm sv_voiceenable "1" sv_alltalk 0 mp_friendlyfire 0 sv_pure 0 mp_chattime 20 sv_allowdownload 1 //sv_downloadurl "" sv_filetransfercompression 0 mp_timelimit 20 mp_friendlyfire 0 mp_tkpunish 1 mp_autokick 1 mp_fadetoblack 1 mp_falldamage 0 mp_logmessages 1 mp_weaponstay 1 sv_region 0 sv_lan 0 // bandwidth rates/settings sv_minrate 0 sv_maxrate 0 sv_minupdaterate 10 sv_maxupdaterate 66 sv_mincmdrate 10 sv_maxcmdrate 66 sv_client_cmdrate_difference 1 sv_client_predict 1 sv_client_interpolate 1 sv_client_min_interp_ratio -1 sv_client_max_interp_ratio -1 sv_timeout 300 decalfrequency 60 log on sv_logbans 1 sv_rcon_banpenalty 60 sv_rcon_maxfailures 10 sv_rcon_minfailures 5 sv_rcon_minfailuretime 45 // Source TV tv_enable 0 // Exec Configs exec banned_user.cfg mapchangecfgfile server.cfg mapcyclefile mapcycle.txt