Fistful of Frags is a first-person western action game. The dedicated server component can be run as a Windows service using FireDaemon Pro, which allows you to start the dedicated server automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the dedicated server and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use FireDaemon Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
Fistful of Frags Dedicated Server Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
First download and extract SteamCMD. The download is small (< 2 MB).
Download the Fistful of Frags server files via Valve’s content servers. First before you can download the files, go to the directory where you installed SteamCMD and create a shortcut to "SteamCMD.exe". Next edit the properties of the shortcut and in the target box, at the end of it (with a space before the following), put:
+login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\Fistful of Frags" +app_update 295230 validate +quit
Replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Steam username and password. The target box should now look something like:
C:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\Fistful of Frags" +app_update 295230 validate +quit
Now click the shortcut you created and let it run to download the Fistful of Frags server files. It might take a few hours to update everything. You should also run the shortcut every week or so to grab the latest server updates. Make sure to stop your server first.
Note that Fistful of Frags uses one configuration file, server.cfg, to store its settings. This file is located in C:\Fistful of Frags\fof\cfg. Edit this file to suit your preferences.
Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the "Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the paths to suit your installation. Note the required parameters.
- Executable: The path to your srcds.exe file. The path specified in this HOWTO is C:\Fistful of Frags\srcds.exe.
- Working Directory: The directory containing your srcds.exe file. The path specified in this HOWTO is C:\Fistful of Frags
Parameters: -console -game fof +maxplayers 20 +map fof_fistful -ip x.x.x.x -port 27015
- -console - Specifies to run the console version of the server.
- -game fof - Specifies which game to load.
- +map fof_fistful - Specifies which map to load. This field may be changed.
- +maxplayers 20 - Specifies the maximum number of players.
- -ip x.x.x.x - Specifies the IP address to connect to. Replace this with your (internal or external) IP address. This may also be specified in the server.cfg file.
- -port 27015 - Specifies which port to send traffic through. This may also be specified in the server.cfg file.
- +exec server.cfg - (not shown) Specifies which server file in the cfg directory to load. This field is optional but useful if you're running multiple servers.
Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see your dedicated server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box & select “Hidden” from the “Show Window” dropdown. You can optionally run your Fistful of Frags Dedicated Server as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to the dedicated server or specify which CPU or core the dedicated server will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
Now click on the Lifecycle tab. Uncheck Graceful Shutdown as Fistful of Frags doesn't respond to it.
Now click OK to finish setup and start your Fistful of Frags dedicated server!