Day of Defeat: Source is a game that features multiplayer, team-based gameplay set in the WWII European theatre of operations. Players choose a role and tackle goal-oriented missions based on historical operations. The dedicated server component can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro.
FireDaemon Pro allows you to have the dedicated server start automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the dedicated server and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use FireDaemon Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
Day of Defeat: Source Dedicated Server Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
First download and extract SteamCMD. The download is small (< 2 MB).
Go to the directory where you installed SteamCMD and create a shortcut to "SteamCMD.exe". Next edit the properties of the shortcut and in the target box, at the end of it (with a space before the following), put:
+login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\DODS" +app_update 232290 validate +quit
The target box should now look something like:
C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login anonymous +force_install_dir "C:\DODS " +app_update 232290 validate +quit
Now click the shortcut you created and let it run to download the Day of Defeat: Source files. It might take a few hours to update everything. You should also run the shortcut every week or so to grab the latest server updates; make sure to stop your server first before doing so.
Day of Defeat: Source uses 1 configuration file to store its settings. You can find it in dod\cfg\server.cfg in the directory where you installed the server.
Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the "Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the paths to suit your installation.
Executable: The path to your srcds.exe file. For the purposes of this HOWTO, the path is C:\DODS\srcds.exe.
- Working Directory: The directory containing your srcds.exe file. For the purposes of this HOWTO, the path is C:\DODS.
The most important field on the tab is the Parameters. The Parameters define the initial setup of your server.
Here’s the full parameter list you should have:
-console -game "dods" -secure +map dod_anzio -autoupdate +log on +maxplayers 32 -port 27015 +ip 184.108.40.206 +exec server.cfg
- "-console" enables text base server display. The server can only be automatically restarted in text based mode.
- "-game" loads the mod.
- "-secure" enables VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) protection of your server. You can remove this command if you do not want to use VAC.
- "+map" loads a specified map on server startup. You can change "dod_anzio" to whatever map you want. This command should never be removed.
- "-autoupdate" Enables auto update of the server. Valve has not implemented this in Windows so you will have to manually update Day of Defeat: Source yourself. It’s simply here for the sake of legacy support if Valve ever decides to add it.
- "+log on" Displays the output of information on the screen. You can turn optionally it off (+log off), but keeping it on makes it easier to debug any errors you might encounter.
- "maxplayers 32" This controls the maximum of amount of players you want your server to run. You can only control the max players on server startup. This command should never be removed.
- "-port 27015" This is the default server port. You can change it to anywhere from 27015 to 27020. Changing it is generally used when you host multiple servers, as each server has to use its own port when using the same IP. This command should never be removed.
- "+ip" should be the IP of your computer (not 127.0.0.1, go here to get your IP). This command should never be removed.
- "+exec server.cfg" This executes your server.cfg file on server startup. If you run multiple servers from the same installation, you can specify other config files (eg. server2.cfg)
Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see your dedicated server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box & select “Hidden” from the "Show Window" dropdown. You can optionally run Day of Defeat: Source as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to the dedicated server or specify which CPU or core the dedicated server will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
Now click on the Lifecycle tab. Uncheck Graceful Shutdown as Day of Defeat: Source doesn't respond to it.
Now click OK to finish setup and start Day of Defeat: Source!
Day of Defeat: Source Configuration File
Below is an example server.cfg file:
// server name hostname "Day of Defeat Server" // rcon passsword rcon_password "password" mp_autocrosshair 0 mp_flashlight 1 mp_teamplay 11 mp_friendlyfire 0 mp_fraglimit 0 mp_timelimit 30 sv_allowdownload 1 sv_allowupload 1 sv_cheats 0 sv_maxspectators 4 sv_maxrate 25000 sv_minrate 0 decalfrequency 30 fakelag 0 fakeloss 0 pausable 0 // Physics settings sv_accelerate 10 sv_aim 0 sv_airaccelerate 10 sv_airmove 1 sv_friction 4 sv_gravity 800 sv_bounce 1 sv_clienttrace 3.5 sv_clipmode 0 sv_stepsize 18 sv_stopspeed 100 sv_maxspeed 500 sv_wateraccelerate 10 sv_waterfriction 1 edgefriction 2 mp_falldamage 1 mp_footsteps 1 // DoD Extra settings //This Enables DoD\'s Netcoding sv_unlag 1 //DoD Beta 2.0 Bullet Tracer settings traceroffset 100 tracerlength 0.45 tracerred 1.3 tracerblue 0.1 tracergreen 0.7 traceralpha 0.45 tracerspeed 6250 //Turn on\\off Spectating Team mp_allowspectators 1 //Turn on/off death messages mp_deathmsg 1 mp_alliesclasses -1 mp_axisclasses -1 mp_spawnbazookas 1 // Advanced RCON sv_rcon_banpenalty 60 sv_rcon_maxfailures 10 sv_rcon_minfailures 5 sv_rcon_minfailuretime 30 // bandwidth rates/settings sv_minrate 0 sv_maxrate 0 decalfrequency 10 sv_maxupdaterate 60 sv_minupdaterate 10 // server logging log off sv_logbans 0 sv_logecho 1 sv_logfile 1 sv_log_onefile 0 // operation sv_lan 0 sv_region 0 // execute ban files exec banned_user.cfg exec banned_ip.cfg