Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare immerses players into the most gritty and chaotic WWII combat ever experienced. Players band together to survive the most harrowing and climactic battles that led to the demise of the Axis powers on the European and Pacific fronts.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
Please follow the steps below to set up a Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare monitor as a Windows service with FireDaemon Pro
Step 1: Install Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
At the time of this writing, there is no Windows dedicated server component for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You will need to use the executables included with your game. It's best to create a clean install of the game before continuing, a technique this guide uses. Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision" and copy the "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" to a folder on your hard drive. For the purposes of this guide, we will use "C:\cod 4mw".
The copying process will take a long time (several hours). Once the copying is finished:
- Go to "C:/cod 4mw/main/" and delete the "Video" folder.
- Go to "C:/cod 4mw/pb/" and delete everything inside it.
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare uses one configuration file to store its settings. The file is "server.cfg" and is located in the "main" folder.
Step 2: Set Up Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare as a FireDaemon Pro Service
- Download and install FireDaemon Pro. Double click the FireDaemon Pro icon on your desktop, then click on the New (i.e. +) button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl + N) to create a new service.
- Enter the information into the fields as you see below.
- Adjust the path names to suit your installation. Note the required parameters.
The most important field on the tab is the Parameters. The Parameters define the initial setup of your server. The full parameter list should be as follows:
+set dedicated 2 +set net_ip 188.8.131.52 +set net_port 28960 +set sv_maxclients 32 +set sv_punkbuster 1 +exec server.cfg +map_rotate
- +set dedicated 2” loads the server.
- "+set net_ip 184.108.40.206” Set's the Server IP (replace 220.127.116.11 with your external or WAN IP)
- “+set net_port 28960” Set's the Server Port.
- “+set sv_maxclients 32” This controls the maximum of amount of players you want your server to run. You can only control the max players on server startup. This command should never be removed.
- “+set sv_punkbuster 1” Enables PunkBuster anti-cheat.
- "+exec server.cfg" Loads the server configuration file.
- "+map_rotate" Loads the map cycle.
Next, click on the FireDaemon Pro Settings tab:
Enter appropriate values in the fields on the Settings tab as follows:
- (Required) Job Type: You must set job type to "Global Job".
- Logon Account: Enter the Windows account under which the game is to be run, e.g. the current user account.
- Password / Confirm Password: Enter the logon account's password twice.
- (Optional) Interact with Desktop: If this setting is enabled (default), the game server's output messages can be seen in the console window on Windows Session 0. To switch to Session 0, it may be necessary to install FireDaemon Zero and ZeroInput. Alternatively, this setting may be disabled, in which case the game server's messages will be hidden.
- (Optional) Priority: To allocate more CPU time to the game server, select a higher scheduling priority in this field.
- (Optional) CPU Bindings: To run the game server on a specific CPU, specify the appropriate CPU in this field.
Next, click in the Lifecycle tab. Set Shutdown By to Forceful Termination and check "Console Program".
Lastly, click the Save and Close (ie. the tick) button on the toolbar. If the service's Startup Type is set to Automatic or Automatic (Delayed-Start), it will start immediately.
Step 3: Verify that Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is Running Correctly
The Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare game server's status can easily be checked on the main FireDaemon Pro Services List - look for a Running Status value and a numeric Process ID (PID) value.
If the service's Interact with Desktop setting is enabled, the game status can also be verified by switching to Windows Session 0 to view the game's messages.