Age of Chivalry is a first person action game. The dedicated server component can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro, which allows you to have the dedicated server start automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the dedicated server and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use FireDaemon Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
Age of Chivalry Dedicated Server Setup Under FireDaemon Pro
First download and extract SteamCMD. The download is small (< 2 MB).
Go to the directory where you installed SteamCMD and create a shortcut to "SteamCMD.exe". Next edit the properties of the shortcut and in the target box, at the end of it (with a space before the following), put:
+login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir "C:\Age of Chivalry" +app_update 17515 validate +quitBe sure to replace USERNAME and PASSWORD with your Steam username and password. The target box should now look something like:
C:\SteamCMD\steamcmd.exe +login USERNAME PASSWORD +force_install_dir "C:\Age of Chivalry" +app_update 17515 validate +quit
Now click the shortcut you created and let it run to download the Age of Chivalry server files. It might take a few hours to update everything. You should also run the shortcut every week or so to grab the latest server updates. Make sure to stop your server first.
Age of Chivalry uses one configuration file to store its settings. Modify the file "server.cfg" in "ageofchivalry\cfg\server.cfg" in your Age of Chivalry directory.
Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
Next start the FireDaemon GUI from the desktop shortcut. Click on the "Create a new service definition" button in the toolbar (or type Ctrl+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. Adjust the paths to suit your installation. Note the required parameters.
The most important field on the tab is the Parameters. The Parameters define the initial setup of your server.
Executable: The path to your srcds.exe file. The path we have specified for this HOWTO is C:\age of chivalry\srcds.exe.
Working Directory: The directory containing your srcds.exe file. The path we have specified for this HOWTO is C:\age of chivalry.
Here’s the full parameter list you should have:
-console -game ageofchivalry -secure +map aoc_siege -autoupdate +log on +maxplayers 32 -port 27015 +ip 184.108.40.206 +exec server.cfg
- "-console” enables text base server display. The server can only be automatically restarted in text based mode.
- “-game” loads the mod.
- “-secure” enables VAC (Valve Anti Cheat) protection of your server. You can remove this command if you do not want to use VAC.
- “+map” loads a specified map on server startup. You can change “aoc_siege” to whatever map you want. This command should never be removed.
- “-autoupdate” Enables auto update of the server. Valve has not implemented this in Windows so you will have to manually update Age of Chivalry yourself. It’s here for the sake of legacy support if Valve ever decides to add it.
- “+log on” Displays the output of information on the screen. You can turn optionally it off (+log off), but keeping it on makes it easier to debug any errors you might encounter.
- “maxplayers 32” This controls the maximum of amount of players you want your server to run. You can only control the max players on server startup. This command should never be removed.
- “-port 27015” This is the default server port for your server. You can change it to anywhere from 27015 to 27020. Changing it is generally used when you host multiple servers (as each server has to use its own port when using the same IP). This command should never be removed.
- “+ip” should be the IP of your computer (not 127.0.0.1, go here to get your IP). This command should never be removed.
- “+exec server.cfg” This executes your server.cfg file on server startup. If you run multiple servers from the same installation, you can specify other config files (e.g. server2.cfg)
Now click on the Settings tab. If you DON'T want to see your dedicated server running, uncheck the Interact with Desktop check box & select “Hidden” from the “Show Window” dropdown. You can optionally run Age of Chivalry as the user you installed it as. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to the dedicated server or specify which CPU or core the dedicated server will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
Now click on the Lifecycle tab. Uncheck Graceful Shutdown as Age of Chivalry doesn't respond to it.
Now click OK to finish setup and start Age of Chivalry!