How to run Network Serial Port Kit as a Windows Service with FireDaemon Pro.
What is Network Serial Port Kit?
Network Serial Port Kit allows you to work with any serial devices connected to remote computers as if they were connected directly to your PC. You can easily share and access remote printers and hard disks over network. But there is no standard solution which allows working with remote serial devices. GPS-receivers, barcode scanners, modems, sensors, PBX, laboratory equipment are not usually dedicated to be shared over network.
Can Network Serial Port Kit be run as a Windows Service?
Network Serial Port Kit can be run as a Windows Service using FireDaemon Pro, which lets you start the application automatically at boot prior to login, start multiple instances of the application and more. This HOWTO will show you how to set it up. You can also use Fusion to manage FireDaemon and other Windows services via a web browser.
How to set up Network Serial Port Kit under FireDaemon Pro.
1. Download Network Serial Port Kit from the official website.
2. Install Network Serial Port Kit. By default Network Serial Port Kit installs to C:\Program Files\Network Serial Port Kit. For the purposes of this HOWTO, we will use the default installation path.
3. Download and install FireDaemon Pro into the directory of your choice, typically C:\Program Files\FireDaemon.
4. Start the FireDaemon GUI From the desktop shortcut. Click on the “Create a new service definition” button in the toolbar (or type CTRL+N) and enter the information into the fields as you see below. If you installed Network Serial Port Kit outside of the default installation path then enter that path in the “Executable” and “Working Directory” fields.
5. Now click on the Settings tab. In the Logon Account field type your username (e.g. Administrator) and then enter the user's password twice in the Password and Confirm fields. You can change the Process Priority to allocate more CPU time to Network Serial Port Kit or specify which CPU or core Network Serial Port Kit will run on (in the case of multi-processor, hyperthreaded or multi-core CPUs).
6. Click OK to finish setup and start Network Serial Port Kit! You can check the status by looking at the “Status” column in the FireDaemon Pro window.